Fresh fallen

12.06.2010

Ahhh. You know winter has finally arrived when there's a fresh new layer of pom pom fuzz covering your sewing room floor.

Photobucket



With a cup of cocoa nearby, something entertaining playing on the computer, scissors in one hand and yarn in the other, I discovered that these things multiply like tribbles.

In case you're wondering, I tried both the "finger wrapping" method and the pom pom maker method, and while both yield similar results, Photobucket the pom pom maker is a bit faster and wastes a lot less yarn. Two tips: 1) wrap the yarn very tightly around those pom pom maker arms and as many times as possible, leaving just enough space to close the gadget, and 2) trim the yarn shorter than you expect for a more uniform pom pom.

By the way, the link to the pom pom maker says it's available only online, but I was able to pick up a set at my local JoAnn's, with a 50% off coupon, score!

The pom poms are destined for Christmas packages and/or tree ornaments, and the fabric? I'm feeling a little infatuated with the red/pink/aqua color combo right now. As soon as I put it on the table I knew I needed to make something with it ASAP.

So I turned teensy scraps from my fabric stack into this cute little triangle hexie pincushion:

Photobucket



I can already tell that I'm not finished playing with this color combo...hmmm...what other good things are to come?

Also, a little off topic, but I wanted to let you know--as I mentioned Friday--I listed some fabric bundles in the shop. A few harder-to-find Heather Ross and Amy Butler prints and good deals on some other discontinued prints.

Have a great week!
Kim

12 comments:

  1. thank you so much for sharing. i just bought a pompom maker and was a bit confused on how to do it correctly~
    great colors:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't red/aqua/pink seem soooo Christmas-y to you?? It does to me, too. It's just such a fresh color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I *love* this combo for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving red, pink, and aqua! And those poms are adorable. I never knew there were pompom makers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh i haven't made pom poms since i was a little girl they look great fun. Love your colour combination and the pin cushion is great. Dee ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pom pom's look GREAT! I love the color combo you are using, can't wait to see more of it!

    xoxo,

    Lauren @ Craft My Life Away

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pom poms! my grandma bought a whole bunch one time and I made pom pom creatures! what a fine memory, I may buy more and make more of those creatures just for old times sake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! This is so cute and would match my whole Christmas house and my cookies! I NEEEDDD this fabric! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely amazing creative work with yarn and fabric,color combinations are always good if the finishing are good,so dont worry about color combination... these are your own creativity so no need to take suggestion from any one, be with you and only yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  10. They have pom pom makers? I never heard of such a thing! But it sure sounds like fun. Will have to check it out.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, Kim! Your blog is SO yummy and delicious! I love all the fresh vibrant colors splattered about everywhere! And I think I learned a few things just from reading this post alone...

    Thank you for your kind comment on my last post, it was so kind of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah... sooo pretty! LOVE the pictures and the project!

    ReplyDelete