Mixed Bag (Part II)

10.27.2015

Wow! Thank you so much for the amazing response to my little drawstring bag tutorial! I get a bit giddy whenever I see that my lovely stitchy friends are pinning my projects! There was a lot of interest specifically in my pocket drawstring pouch so I thought I'd give some additional details on the embellishments for that bag and all the others as well, just in case. This tutorial is just for the decorations, for the full instructions on sewing the bags click here!

Pocket Pouch

 Retro Mama drawstring pouch
For the pocket, you'll need a piece of fabric measuring 2-1/2" W x 3-1/4" H (6.4cm x 8.3cm).

1. Fold over one of short edges 1/4" (6mm) toward the wrong side and press with an iron. Edge stitch. (The sides of my fabric are pinked because I used a jelly roll precut)

2. Fold over the same end, again toward the wrong side, this time 3/4" (1.9cm). Press and sew over the original stitch line.

3. Fold over the bottom short edge to the wrong side 1/4" (6mm), then the long sides, pressing all folds to crease.

4. Mark your placement lines on your big rectangle except you'll want the bottom of the pocket to be about 3/8" (1cm) from the fold (drawstring pouch tutorial, Embellish Step 2) and pin the pocket to the fabric.

5. Sew the sides and bottom of the pocket with a scant 1/8" seam allowance. Sew another seam inside the first, with a scant 1/4" (6mm) seam allowance.

6. Sew a button to the pocket (my button is 5/8" or 1.6cm in diameter).

 Retro Mama drawstring pouch

Purple Pouch

 Retro Mama drawstring pouch

1. Mark a line for the bottom of the lace at 1/2" (1.3cm) from the fold (Embellish, Step 2).

2. Sew on the lace first, then twill measuring tape (or other trim) on top of the lace.

3. For the fabric tag, cut a piece of fabric 1-1/2" W x 2" L (3.8cm x 5.1cm).

4. Press the long edges 1/4" (6mm) toward the wrong side.

5. Fold the fabric in half so that it measures 1" (2.5cm) in length and press.

6. Ladder stitch the folded edges, then insert the fabric "tag" (Embellish, Step 4). Sew a small button to just the top layer after the bag has been assembled.

 REtro Mama drawstring pouch

Patchy Pouch

 Retro Mama drawstring pouch

The dimensions for my patches were red: 1-1/4"W x 1-3/4"H (3.2cm x 4.4cm), blue: 1-1/8" square (2.9cm), and strawberries: 1-3/8"W x 1-1/4"H (3.5cm x 3.2cm)

1. Back each of your selected fabrics with a small square of Wonder Under fusible web (following package instructions), then peel up a corner of the paper so it will be easy to remove after cutting. Cut the fabric to size.

2. Iron the red patch on the bag at least 1/2" (1.3cm) from the side and 1/4" (6mm) from the fold (Embellish, Step 2), and zig zag stitch around it. Then iron and sew the next on top of it, and the final one stacked on the others.

Hexie Pouch

 Retro Mama hexie flower

I used 3/8" hexagons to make my hexie flower (0.375" or 1cm) using this hexagon generator.

Space the hexagon 1/2" (1.3cm) from the side and 3/8" (1cm) from the fold (Embellish, Step 2). I used mint colored thread to match the hexie fabric. Attach the hexie flower with ladder stitches.

And that's it! I don't have more comprehensive instructions for the hexagon because I'm not an expert paper piecer and there are tons of great tutorials out there already, but do let me know if you have any questions!

Happy Stitching!

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow ~ this is fantastic! Just found you via Busy Being Jennifer on Facebook. Thanks for the great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is adorable. I should try this one. Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete